Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Leipzig/Dresden - June 4

I am in Dresden, sitting on my most amusing abode yet. It's called the D. Poeppelmann, and is anchored in the river Elbe. Cheapest place to sleep in Dresden. I just couldn't resist.



Yesterday I zoomed down to Lichtenfels in my diesel VW Golf. It's reasonably fast, being able to comfortably cruise at 110 mph, but when going past 120 , it gets a little loose, so I mostly avoid that. Would be nice to have a fast car, since I'm actually finding quite a few unlimited stretches of Autobahn. OTOH, it gets 36 mpg when flogged mercilessly, which is pretty good.
So anyway, being in Lichtenfels on a Tuesday meant I had to have "Schlachtschuessel" - butcher's plate, because Tuesday is the tradidional day for slaughter. Blood sausage, liverwurst, boiled pig parts, sauerkraut. Apologies to my vegetarian friends, but YUMMO! This was in a village called Uetzing.



Today, Leipzig was first up. It has a pretty cool downtown. Interesting architecture and a marvel of city hall. It's basically a castle. Also the university is downtown, so you have lots of students going about lending a cool vibe. I wandered around for about 3h and then set off for Dresden.





Dresden's architecture is very different, despite being only 100km away. I have to read up on why. I guess the cities were built during different time periods. Despite the infamous bombing during WWII, there are quite a few old buildings left, many right along the river. It was a gorgeous day so a lot of people were hanging out on the grass by the river front and the beer gardens were very popular. I checked out the old town, the new town and a couple of bars. Did about 5h or driving and 5h of walking today. A tad tiring. Tomorrow, on to Berlin.








No comments:

Post a Comment