Friday, April 11, 2014

The beginning

I've been meaning to start writing this quite a while ago...

How did this all come about? Unhappy at work, hitting 50, not knowing where I'm going, so why not take some time off to "find myself" - or just have some fun and chill.

I don't remember how the plan came about, but a few things just came together. I wanted to take time off - 3 months seemed like a good compromise. I've been wanting to meet up with my parents and Hans Otto & Renate in Valdobiadenne for years for the annual Prosecco bunkering trip. I had talked to Monna and Chris about meeting them in Helsinki for mid summer night. Tom and Pauline will spend a week at the Garda lake. Fit my birthday in the middle and the frame work is there. Connect everything by traveling on a motorcycle and it becomes kinda epic.

So then there was the minor point of taking 3 months off - or quitting. The idea of just walking away was very tempting, but had obvious downsides. I gave it about a 50/50 chance that my job would say yes to a 3 month leave. So I must say I was very happy that they did say yes. I felt the love, esp since my VP had to go to bat for me to convince the CIO of the wisdom of keeping me.

Ok then, time to make real plans. I had first thought that I should be doing this on a BMW natch, specifically one of the big adventure bikes - R1200GS - epic. I let some sanity (not too much) creep in and decided it was a bit pricey and heavy. The alternative, a bike I'd looked at a few years ago. Triumph Tiger 800.





So of course, I started by buying one. Chalk it up as a midlife crisis purchase ;-) I  hadn't ridden in inclement weather and conditions in a long time. Decided I needed to practice. Picked it up March 8th and have been riding every weekend and now every day to work. Freezing temps - check (time for a new electric vest). Torrential, cold downpour - check (damn boots leaked). Riding in commuting traffic - check (perhaps a good idea to pick up a high viz vest). 800 miles so far.

I've been reading adventure riding sites for pointers, trying to prep. Bough a lot of gear. Upgraded some of my safety gear, new helmet, new gloves. Set up iPhone for nav - case, mount, bluetooth helmet speakers. Travel gear - high tech underwear, quick dry, wicking. Merino wool socks. Packable chair - 1.2 lbs - very cool. Helmet cam, still gotta figure that one out!

Then, last week some setbacks. The knee acts up. Finally been riding enough to make it hurt. Not good. Serious doubts about the wisdom/feasibility of riding for 2 weeks straight from Stuttgart to Helsinki - ~4000 km / 2500 miles. Also have found that the windshield on the Tiger is very loud. Thought that a bigger one would fix that, but no. Apparently known problem for tall guys. DOH!

No comments:

Post a Comment