Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The plan

The plan/itinerary has been in flux from the word go - well actually before then - and continues to be. That's as it should be, this was never supposed to be some regimented trip, but more of a free flowing adventure.

Went for a little jaunt up to the Berkshires last Saturday. 4 1/2 hours, 200 miles. One the way back everything hurts - butt, shoulders, back, knee. I'm tired, I want to get off the bike. I'm thinking, do I really want to do this every day for 2 weeks? Perhaps not. What WAS I thinking when I thought that a marathon run would be a good idea. One of the things that people tell you about MC touring is to not ride on some schedule. Make sure you have time to stop, slow down, see things. So, tweak the plan - fly to Norway, get a bike there, go check out the Fjords - or maybe walk the Camino de Compostella for a week.

So this is the way I have it right now - subject to change!

May 1  - Leave for Germany
May 9-11 - Valdobiadenne, Treviso
May 11-13 - Pula, Croatia
May 13-20 - Ride around northern Italy, hit some passes, check out the Giro d'Italia and the Mille Miglia.
June 1-6 - Norway. See the fjords, visit my cousin in Bergen
June 14-21- Helsinki/Porvoo. Celebrate summer solstice
June 28-July4 - Lago di Garda. Chill, eat, ride.
July 12 - Schuetzenfest in Lichtenfels
July 20 - F1 race at Hockenheim
July 22 - Return to US

I'm planning on renting bikes for the two Italy trips and in Norway. 

During the gaps I'll be in Germany. I've never been to what used to be eastern Germany, so I'd like to see maybe Dresden & Leipzig. Go back to Berlin for a couple of days. See some friends I haven't seen in a long time.  Drive the Nuerbugring. Spend time with my family. Celebrate birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment