Friday, May 23, 2014

Dätzingen, Deutschland - May 22

Last day on the road for now. I was close enough to home so I could take a detour in Austria and bag a couple more passes. First up out of Imst was the Hahntennjoch (1894m) . This has a pretty neat approach from the east. It's fairly shallow and winds its way up along a long gorge. The area is not traveled that much, so instead of building galleries (those are the tunnel type passages that are open to the valley side) to protect from rock and mudslides, the road is simply closed during thunderstorms, when the risk is too high.



I then went on past the Kelmer Sattel (saddle) (1342m) and the Berwanger Sattel (1336). This run was just a long string of open valleys and flowing curves. Very nice ride.
It was time to head into Germany. Mapped out a route avoiding highways, gassed up and set off on the last 260km of the trip. Once in the lowlands, I thought I crossed into Arizona. It was hot. At least 90 deg - Ok, that's not very hot for Arizona, but anyway, I was steaming. Stopped a number of times and kept on peeling off more layers. Now I needed some wind for the ventilation to work. Luckily the German country roads provided ample opportunity to blast along at 80 mph. 4h later, I was at home. Total for the day - 350 km. Total for the 2 week trip - 3500 km.

Today, Friday, the bike is going back. Sad to see her go. Also, it'll be weird that after 2 months of riding nearly every day I won't have 2 wheels available now for another month.

I've updated May 20 & 21 entries with pictures.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment