Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pieve di Cadore - May 15

Today was a great day, well, it still is - the wine isn't empty yet.
Over a leisurely breakfast at El Greco, I laid out the plan for the day. I was going to string together two suggested routes, then ride to Pieve if I felt I had the energy, otherwise end the day closer - no repeat of yesterday. I'm trying to slowly move west to cover a number of routes.
Out of Ampezzo I rode up to lake Sauris and its surrounding communities.



Pretty much straight up. A couple of nice twisties to wake up to and some very cool, old tunnels. These were clearly cut by hand. Very rough walls and cobblestone road - damp cobblestones. Eeek! Then, coming around a corner - road closed. Not again! Sigh, oh well, at least today I'm still quite fresh. So much for the loop. 20 km back to Ampezzo and do the semi loop the other way round. Some nice roads and then we go up again. I'm now looking straight at the snow, and in fact, Sappado is a ski area. Altitude 957m. I stop for lunch, having Tagliatelle with Venison ragout, Foursquare knows exactly where I am.


Thusly fortified I head back down the mountain and head over to the second loop . I chicken out of Monte Crostis because the forecast calls for a high of 1 deg C (33 F). Seems a bit chilly. However, Monte Zoncolan is on the menu for the afternoon. It's a pretty nice and swift run up the mountain. They give alt readings every few switch backs. I arrive at the ski area at 1324m. Snow everywhere. Pretty cool.


But wait, the fun just starts - the road continues up the ski mountain. So I'm riding up past the slopes (looks like there's still a good snow pack) to the top of the mountain 1732m.



Definitely chilly now. I'm loath to let go of my heated handgrips to take pictures. Now we head down the backside. This is the side the Giro d'Italia boys ride UP. This road is officially closed, but open. Basically go at your own risk, abandon all hope, morituri te salutant and all that. I give it a hard look and press on, wondering what the group of French tourists is thinking as I ride past the road closed sign. It's a bit harrowing to be sure. Unsecured, very tight (foot down) switchbacks, then some more hand carved, unlit tunnels with icicles hanging from the roof. Guard rails really only pole vault you over the side if you're on a bike, so good riddance. Oh boy. I did say I wanted adventure. I make it down ok, trying to read the upside down scribblings on the road from past Giros.
Loops completed, I decide I'm good to go for the ride to Pieve. More curves ahead. In fact we go back up to today's record of 1790m. Incidentally, I pass by the other side of the closed road out of Sauris. There's serious snow up here. The banks on the side of the road are close to 2m tall. Good stuff.


Pieve is part of a set of communities around the Lago di Cadore. Fairly small, but I find a very cute wine bar to have an Aperol Spritz and a Prosecco. I love it when a plan comes together. Reasonable dinner at he hotel and I call it a good day!




GPS goodies:
Sappada: N 46.5684, E 12.7287
Monte Zoncolan: N 46.5127, E 12.954
Pieve di C.: 46.4267, E 12.3706


No comments:

Post a Comment